Quiz-How well are you sleeping?
-Are you . . .
Tired during the day and lack energy?
-Do you . . .
Snore, Toss and Turn and have difficulty staying asleep??
Have high blood pressure?
Stop breathing while sleeping?
Gasp for air while sleeping?
Not remember your dreams (if you dream)?
Grind your teeth at night?
Have frequent headaches?
Wet the bed while sleeping?
Did you know that poor sleep can cause ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, Bed Wetting, Depression 30-40% of Americans suffer from Sleep Apnea or other breathing disorders. Children often suffer from sleep apnea or sleep deprivation and not gain the benefits of stages 3 & 4 sleep. ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, Bed Wetting and Depression. Additionally, Behavior Issues, Obesity, Mouth Breathing, Snoring, and more are common among children who experience sleep disorders. Most people have no idea that they have breathing issues and most deny it. As a society, we are getting less sleep and poorer quality of sleep.
One hour of sleep deprivation can affect our cognitive behavior and mental processing the equivalent of a 0.5% blood alcohol level. Two hours is equivalent to 1.0% alcohol level.
So, the question is . . . What do you do about it?
Can a dentist treat sleep apnea and impaired breathing issues?
'Yes'! Because dentists are the doctor most familiar with the head and neck, well-trained dentists can be a key member in the medical team in treating breathing disorders and sleep apnea. Dr. Brady works in conjunction with a board certified sleep physician to diagnose and offer alternative solutions to surgery or a CPAP machine. Although we would never encourage anyone to stop using their CPAP machine, oral appliances are many times a viable alternative used in successfully treating apnea. Here is a brief self-test.
- Do you feel sleepy during the day?
- Have you ever fallen asleep or nodded off while driving?
- Have you ever been told that you snore or stop breathing while asleep?
- Do you ever panic and feel like you’re going to gag during dental procedures, and you don’t know what to do with your tongue and need to sit up?
- Do you kick or jerk your legs or toss and turn while sleeping?
- Do you dream? How often?
-Do you breathe with your mouth open when sleeping?
-Do you wet the bed? Do you snore?
- Do you have acid reflux?
- Hypertension? Depression? ADD? ADHD?
- Ever had a stroke or heart disease or diabetes?
- Have you had weight gain and find it difficult to lose?
If you said ‘yes’ to any of these questions, come see us. We can most likely help. Then, depending on the your symptoms and an accurate diagnosis, we can talk appropriate options for you. Here are some more alarming statistics.
- 4% of all auto accidents are caused drivers nodding off.
- People with untreated sleep apnea are 23X more likely to have heart disease than those who have apnea but are treated. By comparison, smoking is 11X more likely.
- Many states are now passing laws mandating that truck drivers and airline pilots be tested for sleep apnea. CDOT is also making it a requirement for their drivers.
- Poor sleep can cause a decrease in leptin production, a hormone associated with weight control.